Tulsi or holy basil or Osmium Sanctum Linn has been used in Indian households as well as Ayurvedic preparations since ages. Researches done on the plant now provide significant evidence to support its medicinal properties and health benefits!
Benefits of Tulsi plant-
Anti diabetic – Ethanol extract of O. sanctum L (Tulsi) significantly decreases blood glucose, glycol-slated Hemoglobin (HbAic) and blood urea.
2. Contains vitamin C and antioxidants such as eugenol, which protect the heart and also reduces the cholesterol levels in blood.
3.They soothe the nerves, lower BP, reduce inflammation and thus reduce stress.
4. Potassium in Tulsi decreases Blood Pressure related stress by replacing sodium and loosening the tensed blood vessels.
5. Excellent mouth freshener and an oral disinfectant. Kills 99% of germs and bacteria.
6. Has anticancer properties and is known to inhibit the growth of oral cancer which can be caused by chewing tobacco.
7. Has antimicrobial activity too.
8. Regular usage has been shown to provide protection against stress induced gastric ulcer.
9. Helps in relieving cough, cold and almost all respiratory disorders due to its antimicrobial activity.
10. The most common and known use of Tulsi is to relieve congestion during cough and cold. This property is due to presence of components like camphene, eugenol and cineole.